Assembler will be working closely with engineer(s), program manager(s) and other mfg. team members to assemble composite and metallic products and vehicles for Swift-Ops at varying product life cycle stages from prototype/demonstration to in-production.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assemble composite and metallic products and assemblies while meeting schedule, budget, and quality requirements. Tasks may include are but not limited to: hand trimming, drilling, bond prepping, bonding, installation of aerospace fasteners and rivets, and composite repair.
- Develop and assemble custom tooling/fixture required to ensure proper assembly tasks for prototype products.
- Train apprentices and less-experienced technicians to meet throughput and inspect work to verify quality requirements are met. Identify training needs and develop training material to ensure technical growth.
- Ensure and maintain full-kit manufacturing approach: tools, instructions, kits, and pertinent materials are available in a timely manner. For less mature projects, assembler will work with engineering and manager to communicate needs.
- Collaborate with manufacturing team and engineering to increase manufacturing throughput and reduce costs such as communicating to lamination team to refine and improve assembly process.
- Elevate any pertinent issues.
- Support and comply with all quality standards and management systems (Swift Internal, NADCAP & AS9100)
- Maintain a neat and orderly work area (e.g. general shop floor, assembly work area, trim room)
- Comply with all Company policies, procedures and regulations
(Preferred, but not required)
- 3+ years work experience in composite assembly work, preferably in aerospace, marine, automotive, aviation, defense, and/or energy industries
- Strong understanding of manufacturing sequences, influence of utilizing various materials (composites and metallics), time required, and risks associated with building prototype/demonstration and low-volume production products
- Personal experience using various hand tools associated with assembly work.
- Drilling Techniques – both free-hand and with drill fixture
- Trimming Techniques – both free-hand and with routing fixture
- Measuring – use of precision measuring devices such as calipers, gages, indicators, micrometers, etc.
- Personal experience working with aerospace fasteners, which includes proper sizing and torque application and verification of installation.
- Personal experience working with aerospace adhesives and resins, which include bond prepping, adhesive mixing, dry fitting, wet-bonding with fasteners and/or cleco’s, adhesive application
- Strong understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
- Broad understanding of materials common to aerospace industry such as: carbon, kevlar, fiberglass, titanium, aluminum, steel, and epoxy.
- General understanding of metallic and composite fabrication process. Ability to operate manual lathe and mill, drill press, table saw, band saw, etc is desirable.
- Ability to operate and maintain oven and formulate cure recipes as required
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive and effective team; Effective communication skills
- Contamination Controlled Area and Environmental Monitored Environment experience.
- Quality Management, NADCAP, and AS9100 understanding and experience.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, bend, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Requires working inside a walk-in freezer maintained at -10°F.
Gerber Cutting System, fork lifts, computer, vacuum pumps, heat sources, various hand, electric and pneumatic tools, ladders, stands, mechanical stands, hi-reach lifts, autoclave, oven.
Open shop environment. Occasionally in warehouse, clean room, trim room, and walk-in freezer(-10°F).
Protective Equipment Required:
Goggles, safety glasses, face shields, ear protection, aprons, gloves, safety harnesses, respirators, breathing equipment.
Exposure to high intensity noise levels, extreme changes in temperature, airborne substances, materials identified on Material Safety Data Sheets, working on unprotected heights or around moving machinery.
Periodic weekend or evening work is expected. Work shifts typically start at 6:00 A.M. with a 30-minute meal break.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship. Must be “US Person” per ITAR requirements. Swift is an EOE.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (hourly)
Reports to: Operations Manager – Manufacturing for Swift-Ops
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com