Cut Room Operator will be involved in the production of parts for the aerospace, unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), motorsport, and other product line industries developed at our facility. The emphasis of this role will be on managing perishable composite materials, cutting and kitting of such materials, and maintaining the relevant work spaces and equipment. Swift-Ops operates within varying product life cycle stages, which ranges from demonstration/prototype stage to in-production stage.
Work shifts typically start 6:00 am with a 30 minute meal break. It is expected that personnel be willing to work night shifts and weekends, if needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Handle, organize, cut, kit, and store prepreg fabrics and other perishable materials associated with composite manufacturing.
- Program and set up Gerber ply cutting machine, including calibration and maintenance per required schedule.
- Use computer programs such as Gerber Cutworks software and Draftsight to inspect cut files, nest patterns, and cut kits.
- Inspect fabrics and other perishable materials for flaws and defects
- Manage inventory of composite materials, keeping track of certs, quantity, shelf life, and populating material working life sheets.
- Manage equipment and work areas pertinent to cutting/kitting operation.
- Work closely with Lead Cut Room Operator to meet production demands
- Participate in all audits and customer inspection that involve cut room operations.
- Supports and complies with all quality standards and management systems (Swift Internal, NADCAP & AS9100)
- Communicate with other functional areas about issues effecting quality and/or productivity.
- Comply with all Company policies, procedures and regulations
- Experience with Ply Cutting System(Gerber), which includes pattern nesting, pattern generation, ply cutting, calibration, maintenance.
- Experience in handling, storing, and transporting composite and perishable materials associated with composite manufacturing.
- General understanding of pre-pregs (e.g. carbon, glass, quartz), film adhesives, resins, handling of composite materials, clean room procedures, ply cutting systems, flat patterns creation and kitting.
- Must have experience and ability to work independently as well as with representatives from other departments, project coordinators, technicians, and management.
- Ability to understand and maintain compliance with various quality management systems (AS9100, NADCAP, Swift, external/customer)
- Strong attention to detail
- High School diploma or GED.
- Effective verbal and written communication.
- A US Person (Resident Alien or US Citizen) per ITAR requirements.
- Ability to pass a background check.
(Preferred, but not required)
- 1+ years work experience with a ply cutting system
- 2+ years work experience in composite fabrication, preferably in aerospace, marine, automotive, aviation, defense, and/or energy industries.
- Applied fundamental knowledge and experience associated with composite fabrication, which includes materials(e.g. pre-pregs, dry fibers, cores, resins, adhesives, releases, solvents), equipment/facilities (e.g. hand, electrical, pneumatic tools & measuring devices, autoclave, oven), and processes (e.g. tool prep, tool fabrication, lamination(wet and pre-preg), core shaping, vacuum bagging, curing, trimming, drilling, bonding, assembly).
- Ability to read, interpret, and fabricate composite parts/tools per blueprints, drawings, manufacturing/process specs, work orders/travelers independently and without supervision.
- Ability to masterfully apply composite fabrication techniques and knowledge of various pre-pregs, fabrics, resin systems, adhesives, cores, film adhesives, bagging materials, etc. in a product development setting and on jobs that require NADCAP accreditation.
- Experience working with aerospace prime contractors
- Ability to operate oven and autoclave and formulate cure recipes when required.
- Possess strong mechanical aptitude in mechanical assemblies and ability to use shop aides/fixtures/jigs to mitigate potential assembly/tolerance stack-up risks.
- Experience in metal fabrication (manual mills, lathes, welding, forming, shears, saws)
- Ability to perform automotive/aerospace finishes
- Core prepping, cutting, sanding, trimming, forming, potting, and splicing experience.
- Contamination Controlled Area and Environmental Monitored Environment experience.
- Quality Management, NADCAP, and AS9100 experience
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is often required to sit; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, bend, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Requires daily work within a large walk-in freezer maintained at -10F.
Equipment Operated: Gerber Cutting System, fork lifts, computer, vacuum pumps, heat sources, various hand, electric and pneumatic tools, ladders, stands, mechanical stands, hi-reach lifts, autoclave, oven.
Work Location: Open shop environment. Occasionally in warehouse, clean room, trim room, and walk-in freezer(-10°F).
Protective Equipment Required: Goggles, safety glasses, face shields, ear protection, aprons, gloves, safety harnesses, respirators, breathing equipment.
Potential Hazards: Exposure to high intensity noise levels, extreme changes in temperature, airborne substances, materials identified on Material Safety Data Sheets, working on unprotected heights or around moving machinery.
Periodic weekend or evening work is expected.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship. Must be “US Person” per ITAR requirements. Swift is an EOE.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (hourly)
Reports to: Operations Manager-Mfg. for Swift-Ops
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com