Swift Engineering is uniquely positioned in the marketplace to provide both Product Development and Manufacturing products and services, specializing in advanced composites, unmanned systems, robotics and associated technologies.
We are looking for someone to help lead our current and future autonomous software and electrical R&D programs using management techniques with technical acuity. We need an individual with strong analytical and operational capabilities as well as organizational intelligence with a technical background. In short, we’re looking for someone to be the glue that holds our Swift-X teams together.
The right candidate will be a collaborative technical leader who can maintain a big picture view of the business and can provide direction, inspiration, and experience to the technical leadership and our community of engineers. We are looking for someone to help shape a vision of R&D software and electrical engineering management activities and then execute on that vision. On the flip side, we’re also looking for someone who can get in to the weeds with the software and electrical engineering staff and follow through on action items and tight timelines.
This individual will participate in all phases of autonomous technology development cycle including concept development, scheduling, trade studies, resource allocation, requirements development/analysis/allocation, mechanical system design/analysis, electrical systems design/analysis, software and hardware design/analysis, algorithm/controls design/analysis, systems modeling, risk management, manufacturing, integration, test and documentation. The ideal candidate should also have a reputation for “hands-on” learning/building, quality, and work ethics. Swift is specifically looking for a sound, rapid-paced, autonomous systems entrepreneurial individual that understands the engineering process and can easily manage multiple projects for multiple technologies.
R&D Senior Software Manager Responsibilities and Mindset:
- Support the success of Swift-X by bridging technical knowledge, program management and resource allocation. Responsible for on-time, on-quality delivery of personal work.
- Ability to empathize and engage engineers and help them look at things through a business lens. Capable of building and nurturing relationships across multiple networks using collaborative and empathetic skills
- Strong analytical skills and exemplary time management/organizational skills
- Excellent discretion, demonstrating sound judgement in dealing with confidential dialogues and information
- Great communication and negotiation skills, bringing together different views, personalities, goals, and needs, and helping different stakeholders find business alignment and growth
- Responsible to bring innovation discussion to customers/industry and help Swift’s brand as an innovation company. Passion for business and operations.
Candidates should also have strong verbal and written communication skills, strong team building skills, and be comfortable working on large teams with talented engineering from other engineering disciplines.
- B.S. with typically 6+ years work experience and proven successful experience in unmanned autonomous systems. Proven track record managing unmanned autonomous systems would be ideal.
- 7+ years in leading teams in the development of software, hardware, and fully integrated autonomous systems.
- Candidate needs to have background creating structured processes for reliable software with a focus on design and maintenance. The candidate shall fluent in software engineering (RTOS, communication protocols (i.e. I2C, SPI, CAN) and electrical engineering (hardware design, component selection).
- Systems-level knowledge in aircraft principles, navigation principles, unmanned systems payloads (imagery, LIDAR, GIS, etc), and general system architectures is a plus.
- Candidate will be required to generate system specifications for unmanned systems and Statements of Work (SOWs) for contractors.
- Complete knowledge of Project Management theory, concepts, and principles (theory of constraints, critical path methodology, project risk management, project scope management, project lifecycle, etc). Capabilities need to include creating and maintaining multi-tiered project schedules with resource loading.
- Capable of making customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions as a project team leader; ability to develop and sustain productive customer relationships as they relate to project team leadership responsibilities; actively seeks information to understand customers’ circumstances, problems, expectations, and needs; presents project level information to customers to build their understanding of issues and capabilities;
- Attends trade shows, industry conferences and customers/partners meetings
- Soft / Interpersonal skills are required as Swift-X is a small community of engineers who work very closely together on all projects.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Chief Scientist – Swift-X
Primarily in an office environment, and shop environment. Periodic weekend or evening work is expected. Travel is expected but limited.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
Swift Engineering is an EOE.
All employees must be “US Person” per ITAR Requirements
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org