Swift Engineering is uniquely positioned in the marketplace to provide both Product Development and Manufacturing products and services, specializing in advanced composites, unmanned systems, robotics and associated technologies.
Swift Engineering is looking for an Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) Mechanical Engineer position located in San Clemente, CA. As the UAS Mechanical Engineer, you will be a key member of the Swift air vehicle integrated product team for UAS for both military and commercial markets. You will work with a multi-disciplinary internal team to resolve design and fabrication challenges, develop and fabricate all aspects of vehicle design from initial concepts to complete production-ready design, and you will be part of a fast-paced start-up culture to get UAS to market. A UAS Mechanical Engineer II should be well versed in UAS product design, structurally efficient designs, finite element analysis, computational fluid dynamics, thermal management, electronics integration, assembly integration and testing of UAS, and support the flight test team. Mechanical Engineering is an integral part of the flight vehicle and also requires deep care and attention to detail in order to fulfill our mission.
Candidates must have a positive attitude, empathy, self-awareness, and a desire to continually improve/learn. The preferred candidate will sweat the small stuff, have a strong sense of ownership, and a curiosity to understand how things work, even if they take you outside your area of expertise.
- On time, On Quality
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, or related field and 5+ years relevant experience
- 3 – 9 years experience in composites, manufacturing, tool design, and other light weight structures design
- 3 – 9 years experience in mechanical or aircraft design using composites, metallics, or plastics
- Hands on experience and an in-depth knowledge of aerospace products and fabrication
- Demonstrated competency in solving mechanics, kinematics, and thermodynamics problems
- Experience with designing machined parts, tools, composite parts, injection parts, sheet metal parts, wire assemblies, and mechanical assemblies for low, medium and high-volume manufacturing processes
- Able to solve basic structural dynamics problems
- Communicate changes and deviations to Manufacturing by releasing revisions, red-lines and Engineering Orders through Senior Engineers
- Strong motivation to help invent and improve UAS vehicle systems
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to work in a team, as well as autonomous
- Target-oriented, driven workstyle with analytic problem-solving skills required
- Able to communicate clearly with staff at all levels.
- Motivation to document work and close out projects
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Systems engineering knowledge and experience of implementation
- Supporting new business activities and proposal writing
- Surface modeling within various CAD programs
- Mentoring of junior engineers
- Solidworks and CATIA experience
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Chief Scientist
Primarily in an office environment, and shop environment. Periodic weekend or evening work is expected. Travel is not expected but may arise.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
Swift Engineering is an EOE.
All employees must be “US Person” per ITAR Requirements
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com